Beer Beer Beer

jollygreendino

Hi d00ds,

As something of a hophead, summer is my favorite season for beer. I wish I could bathe in pale ale. So I thought we might have ourselves a little thread about American ambrosia; hoppy, malty, or boozy, beauty augmenting, socially lubricating, time-passing, sports-exciting, thirst-quenching, beer!

So what is your favorite beer of the season? Or maybe your old go-to? Where is it brewed and where can you find it? What's it like?

Personally, my beer drinking really kicked off during my time in Philadelphia and the biggest brewery local to there, Victory, makes a number of killer brews. Their summer season, Summer Love, is just a bit maltier than most American Pale Ales (APA), is light enough to drink when it's hot out (~5.5%), and has a sessionable level of hops.

A go-to for me is the Six Point The Crisp, which is one of the best pilz I've ever had.

My Favorite... also almost the cheapest to Buy is 'Lucky Lager' the stuff I drink is brewed on Vancouver Island in Canada.
It was also Jimi Hendrix's favorite brew.
jimi-hendrix-buddy-miles.jpg

i don't drink quite as much beer as I have in the past, but still have acquired a fondness for beer from the Real Ale Brewing Co of Blanco, TX.

Their Fireman's 4 blonde and Hans' Pilz are second to none. The GOSE summertime German wheat is excellent, as well.

I'm a big fan of Alaskan Brewing Co. Their Freeride APA is so delicious I cook with it when I make homemade chili.

Aside from Alaskan, my local breweries are aweomse. Karbach (Katy, TX - about 30 minutes from me), Saint Arnold (Houston, TX - right in my backyard!) & good ol' Shiner (Shiner, TX - about 1-2 hours away) have amazing beers with a wide variety in types. If you haven't tried any of theirs and you have access to them where you live I would highly suggest trying pretty much anything any of these companies brew.

For this time of the year you can't go wrong with Leinenkugel 'Summer Shandy'. It's pretty light in content (4.2%) but taste amazing. I drink them when we have summer BBQs and I know I'm gonna be manning the grill for awhile. Definitely on my list of beers to try if you haven't already.

agreed, Houston has some great breweries. Regarding Shiner, their Oktobefest beer is something to look forward to in the fall, always.

Ranger, if you haven't tried any, you should give the Real Ale brews a shot. Real Ale is one of the first craft breweries in Texas, 20 years old I think, and their selections are great overall.

Heady Topper, out of Vermont- 8% ABV and you have to wait in line to buy a case. 75 bucks and worth every penny !

I enjoy Boulevard products (local but now owned by Duval). Tallgrass has an excellent oatmeal stout called "buffalo sweat".

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Darkhorse Brewery is 10mins from my house; I always have Crooked Tree IPA and Raspberry Ale on Tap. I've countless great beers at breweries and found they don't taste the same out of a bottle.

Heady Topper, out of Vermont- 8% ABV and you have to wait in line to buy a case. 75 bucks and worth every penny !

I think we'd all drink Heady Topper for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if we could. I saw it once--one can--at a high-end liquor store here in DC called P Street Liquors in Dupont Circle. It was retailing for $35 and I said, I'll wait until I take a trip to Vermont. I'm sure it sold within hours.

I think we'd all drink Heady Topper for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if we could. I saw it once--one can--at a high-end liquor store here in DC called P Street Liquors in Dupont Circle. It was retailing for $35 and I said, I'll wait until I take a trip to Vermont. I'm sure it sold within hours.
We'd all drink Heady Topper if we could get it out West. Had it for the first time a few months ago as my brother brought some back from the East for us. Sold a bit of it too for quadruple what he paid for.

It's like us West Coasters have Russian River (Pliny, I prefer Blind Pig) and you guys have Heady Topper.

I like stouts so my fav two are:
  • Founders' Breakfast Stout
  • Samuel Adams Nitro Stout
But if I'm not interested in paying a bunch of money, Steel Reserve is my go-to beer when playing Insurgency. It gets me where I want to go pretty quick, and it's only $6 for a 6pack of 16oz cans.

I like stouts so my fav two are:
  • Founders' Breakfast Stout
  • Samuel Adams Nitro Stout
But if I'm not interested in paying a bunch of money, Steel Reserve is my go-to beer when playing Insurgency. It gets me where I want to go pretty quick, and it's only $6 for a 6pack of 16oz cans.

I just had a horrible flashback to my freshman year in philly. Oh Steelie, I do not miss you.

Darkhorse Brewery is 10mins from my house; I always have Crooked Tree IPA and Raspberry Ale on Tap. I've countless great beers at breweries and found they don't taste the same out of a bottle.

There is about 3 beer factory in my city. The closest is miles away, but still bothered about the smell of them.

Thats how I like em heh. Some one above mentioned Avery's Maharaja I think that one comes in at over 100 as well. Tallgrass Ethos is a tasty one that claims to be 110 heh

Back