Website moved to a new server.

RainMotorsports

Leadership
Leadership
As reliable as NFO's web hosting has been, it has long been useless when it comes to diagnosing issues or tracing attacks. We have resisted moving the site because the fact is it works. But when NFO updated their servers early this year we started having issues with the site anytime it sends out an email. I spent several days trying to explain to them I have not had the issue on any other server I had tested but they still want to blame the software and not their config.

Recently registration has been erroring pretty heavily. I had seen it in the logs but it wasn't until users started complaining that I looked into it and it was worse than I though. Previously this had only been seen in password reset situations.

Anyways after a couple of days of testing configurations I have moved the site to its own server. Registration, Password Reset, Bulk Messaging are all working normally now. The server does use more ram than NFO's config but the page load times are measuring the same so I am not worried about that at our size and traffic level for now.

Let me know if you have any issues. Were finally going to announce our conversion over on Xenforo's site (was going to be tomorrow, server issue pushed back finishing things til around the 5th) and we couldn't have registration screwing up right when people where going to be checking us out. We will probably find a more permanent host for the site. But this will do anything we want it to including running teamspeak.

Last edited:
Where's the web site server located now?

Funny you should ask, Austin Texas. This provider didn't have a Chicago (or close) location so Texas was my next choice. The webservers for NFO are all in seattle no matter where you host your game servers.

lol..well better news for me then :)

Yeah lol. The test server I have at NFO is actually also in Dallas but the configuration isn't efficient for the servers resources.

In a scramble for time I worked with some people to try it on another host. As I said before we might end up finding a more permanent home for the website. Soulzz & Fast knew of the issues and concerns but I actually gave no notice of this mornings move. I had the server configured right and it was working beautifully. 6 in the morning and no one on and I had the time to get it done. We will see how it goes and I will continue to try and build a faster server just in case the bosses decide to stick with it.

Back