Bf4 build help

wardog.[Hk.]

Hey there good old TBG members. Some of you may remember me from 2142! As the dawn of BF4 comes I am hoping to hop back into battle and kick ass as usual.

But my rig is getting old and needs to be updated so I am summoning you tech guys from tbg for a lil help.

I would like to play the game with good frame/s and decent graphics. I wouldn't mind keeping piece of my build if possible.

so here it goes:
MB asus p5b
core2duo e4400
vista 64bit
4gb of ram
Ati sapphire hd 4870 1GB ddr3
Will also have to get a wifi card. Any suggestion on those for an optimal gaming experience?

cheers

Oh looky its Wardog. Long time no see. Everything I've seen points to requirements probably being similiar, perhaps slightly higher to BF3. Quad Core Processor, 8 GB Ram, and GTX 600, ATI 7000 series GPU's I think. You basically are meeting minimum requirements at the moment. Barely.

I can max BF3 on an i5 Quad, 8GB Ram, and GTX 560 TI. I'm preety sure those specs can at least medium / high Bf4 . If I find the money somehow I plan to add a second 560 and go SLI for BF4.

you might be fine for RAM, but I'll say you basically are going to be required to upgrade your CPU and GPU power.

Forget keeping any part of that build for going forward.

First of all, how much are you spending?

sup wardoggy. Longtime.

A solid quad core - 4 GB ram min preferably 6. And video card that was released the last 6-8 months and you should be able to run fine.

Personally I'm waiting til March / April next year to upgrade. May hurt me at release (BF4), but they will have some better stuff out by then and top of the line now will be cheap.

Yeah I was thinking of maybe a 600$ budget?? Depending on how pricy are the prices on new egg. I got a 600w power supply, do I have to change that? And would it be an option to crossfire my graphic card? Cheaper option?

Ill go window shopping for now and check out the prices and keep you updated on what I find. I did not build anything since 2142 (2007)

You need a new video card, period. Like Fast said, a decent quad core cpu, which means mb, and at least a mid range video card. You'll probably need to spend $800, but the 600w psu should be fine.

Microcenter has the Haswell 4670K cpu and the Gigabyte UD4H mb combo for $315.00 Micro Center - Computers, Electronics, Computer Parts, Networking, Gaming, Software, and more!You also need RAM; Newegg has DDR3 1600mhz 8gb for as low as $38.00

The big issue for you will be the GPU. I'd go for the AMD 7970 @ $319 FX797ATDJC;FX-797A-TDJC XFX Double D AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI/2Mini DisplayPorts PCI-Express Video Card - AMD Radeon - SuperBiiz.com

That comes to $672.00 which is a bit more than you wanted to spend, but the system will be a good one for a great price. Whatever you do, don't cheat yourself on the video card.

Thanks 672 is still in reach, and as for wifi gameplay is there any optimum wireless card for gaming or are they all the same.

If it you're up to experimenting try this: http://www.killergaming.com/solutions/Wireless

Probably a gimmick.

I highly suggest not going wireless if at all possible. While it does work most of the time it does and must accept any and all interference according to the FCC. I tried wireless a few times and for the most part worked great. However there were times that it just would not perform well or outright not work at all. I used decent equipment like D-Link, Linksys. Not commercial quality stuff, but better than average equipment for sure. My suggestion would be to go with whatever you can afford that has the specs you want/need. I/E Dual Band, N class, MIMO (highly suggest MIMO [Multiple In Multiple Out]), QoS, Mac filtering, etc. etc..

Personally I'm waiting til March / April next year to upgrade. May hurt me at release (BF4), but they will have some better stuff out by then and top of the line now will be cheap.

yeah my thinking also. :) My machine will run it without issues however will update my 570GTX to at least a 770GTX. I also look forward to my favorite online shopping day for stuff.... Black Friday.

Core 2... and vista64 makes me cringe. :)

If you're shopping by parts black friday IS amazing. Just keep in mind the compatibility of everything as you do your window shopping. Don't go grab the wrong board if you settle on a new chip. I know i'll be looking to try and score a new SSD if possible but may want to look at upgrading my graphics as well. I would love new monitors instead... but that will depend on black friday...

Well just to keep you updated here is what I got!

My old Rig decided he was retiring this weekend so today I got myself some new gear.

AMD FX-8320 3.60Ghz octo-8mb (not oc)
Asus M5A97-LE
8GB DDR3 (for now)
1TB HD
600w power supply

window 7

And some oversize case, nothing to fancy.

Just need a GPU, going to take my time and probably buy it online.

Cheers and so you soon on BF4!

EDIT: and just for the wireless I got a dual band usb adapter (n600 xtreme N) been working fine for at least 2 months now!

looks good any chance to get the FX-8350? It will help more. But that should definitely run bf4 no question.

If you are on a budget but you want a card that will last you for 3-4 years 770 GTX or AMD 280X. 280x will run hotter. Drivers also may have a problem,

I am enjoying nvidia drivers right now compared to my old AMD one.

Good thing about us AMD processor users, the next architecture for AMD forget the name will be compatible for our am3+ boards so upgrading the cpu to next gen should be easy.

oh wow sorry, I went for FX-8150 but the provider dint have any. So He sold me the FX-8320 for the same price. Not to bad. Glad to hear the board will be re-useble!

No worries you still have vishera core which is pretty solid. Maybe you can overclock it a little (if you want).

Yeah board will be re-usable for the next gen only but still saves money later on.

Ouww.. 770GTX3gb are a wooping 350$

guessing the 660gtx 2gb will do just fine?..

how about a. Sound card. Any recommendation?

Are you running resolutions higher than 1080P? If not I'd get a 3gb card like the AMD 280 but I'd wait for all the Christmas sales to come into effect. Hell, you might even find a 770 at a good price then. I wouldn't get a 2gb card but a 3 or 4 would work well down the road.

At any rate, I'd wait just a little bit and see what kind of sales tip up the week before and the week of Christmas.

I think you should go for gigabyte 770GTX. It is a little more money. 40 bucks more for 2 GB version and it's 409$ for the 4GB but will last you longer.

Back