Hard drive shortage pushing up PC prices

Oh acer that 3% on that 1000 dollar peice o junk I am not going to buy from you is..... 30 bucks? Damn that is a show stopper.

Well this is not much of a concern for me anyways. That's why we build our own.

Which is why we are really screwed because our end of the deal went up alot more than that. Talks were they are supposed to be dumping stock right around now and the prices will dip a little bit. Production back up middle of next year leaving shortages atleast until the end of 2012. We shall see i guess?

Have you priced a new mechanical hard drive lately? It doesn't matter where you shop for them, they have gone up almost $40 on average in the past 60 to 90 days.

Have you priced a new mechanical hard drive lately? It doesn't matter where you shop for them, they have gone up almost $40 on average in the past 60 to 90 days.

Yeah well the average is far better scenario then what some people face. Mind you just after the online prices shot up you could still get a 1TB hard drive from best buy for 66 bucks. But online 2TB drives pushing 150-200 bucks and 3TB over 300 bucks. The sweet spot 2TB drive has doubled in price for some, the 1TB increase and 3TB don't seem like they doubled but closer to that average. But paying 100 bucks for a 500GB is freaking crazy thats like 2008 pricing.

The last part of my build was 5 more 2TB hard drives....... shit.

Actually pretty sure I am gonna buy an SSD instead and be burning alot of dvd's of the misc stuff i dont have room for.

Yeah well the average is far better scenario then what some people face. Mind you just after the online prices shot up you could still get a 1TB hard drive from best buy for 66 bucks. But online 2TB drives pushing 150-200 bucks and 3TB over 300 bucks. The sweet spot 2TB drive has doubled in price for some, the 1TB increase and 3TB don't seem like they doubled but closer to that average. But paying 100 bucks for a 500GB is freaking crazy thats like 2008 pricing.

The last part of my build was 5 more 2TB hard drives....... shit.

Actually pretty sure I am gonna buy an SSD instead and be burning alot of dvd's of the misc stuff i dont have room for.

If that's the case then prices have shot up greatly since the last time I checked. Also your on the right track in looking at SSD just make sure you have a general idea of how much additional drive space you might need available over the next year or a general rule of thumb I recommend is that you get one that has about 30% more space than you are using on your current mechanical hard drive that it will be replacing.

If that's the case then prices have shot up greatly since the last time I checked. Also your on the right track in looking at SSD just make sure you have a general idea of how much additional drive space you might need available over the next year or a general rule of thumb I recommend is that you get one that has about 30% more space than you are using on your current mechanical hard drive that it will be replacing.

Psh I am gonna end up getting a 120GB and hating it because i dont see myself throwing 300 bucks at anything called a storage device lol. Installing my applications on another drive is one thing thats about 140GB, my steam backup is also 140 GB.... so i do what install only my Origin games on the SSD? lol. Wish I could separate them selected games to selected drives but its a little bit of an issue with Steam it seems.

My personal backup squeezes onto a 500 GB hdd. Mind you I shoot my photos in RAW and keep 2 copies an organized by dump master folder and then a working copy organized by date and shoot so that when i make changes to tags and white balance and other things the exif modified date (only thing ever affected since changes are stored in a seperate file) doesnt change as it does which can affect me in competitions etc. Home movies are about 13GB an hour got a couple hours of footage that I wont delete the originals from. I rip all my cd's lossless compressed. These things take up a bit of space and thats not including the BS like my game footage which is mastered in a much more reasonable h.264.

No affordable SSD's to replace the space I use but 240 to 256 GB would be perfect for a boot drive. 120 is doable crap man i had issues having a 120 GB mechanical on my laptop 5 years ago....

If that's the case then prices have shot up greatly since the last time I checked.

I bought this in a retail box at best buy a couple months ago for 99 bucks - Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 2TB 5900 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive 199 for a bare drive.... heh

Bought it as a eventual backup drive for my system when it was done. Its fast enough as a boot drive though just not what i had planned on having. Benches 150 MB/s synthetic but sustained. I am using a pair of 320GB 7200 RPM laptop drives in Raid0 as my record drive and its benching 170 MB/s same test. I have not retested the 5900 rpm but it was recording up to 50 fps 1080P using my laptop over eSATA and I can do 85 to 90 on the raid there giving me a little room for 60 fps recording which keeps the fraps input lag at bay.

I'm more methodical than your average home computer user when it comes software installation and utilizing my drive space. What I mean by that is while I have a desktop and 2- notebooks each has a very specific use so I only install the software that I'm going to need on any given system. While all of the machines have some uses in common my desktop for instance is configured primarily for gaming so other than games or game related software you won't find programs like MS Office installed on my desktop.

My desktop has 2- 128GB Crucial SSD configured for Raid 0 and 2- 1TB Seagate 7200RPM drives configured in RAID 1 and I am using the Intel Smart Technology. With everything installed I still have 52.2GB of usable drive space and that's even with running the Win7 Enterprise O/S and having Virtual PC installed. Like I mentioned before all the PC's have some shared programs such as the anti-virus software and a few others. I don't know how much space your installed games take up but keep in mind just because you have a game or software doesn't necessarily mean it has to be installed if you don't ever use or play it. :)

If you don't want to spend the green just as with most things, it all comes down to utilizing and managing the resources you have. With hard drive prices soaring the way they have I fortunately shouldn’t need to invest in more drives for a while because I have 512GB or 4-128GB Crucial SSD spread out over 3 PC's with 6TB of storage between internal and external drives. Both notebooks have a Crucial 128GB SSD as the boot drive with a 500GB 7200RPM internal storage drive and an Iomega 500GB mobile external hard drive for each. As I mentioned before, my desktop is running the 2- 128GB SSD's in RAID 0 with 2- 1TB Seagate 7200RPM in RAID 1 and then all that is backed up on to a 2TB external network drive. Before you ask I only back up what's necessary and even then I use fairly strong data compression if it's stuff I know I won’t need to access on a regular basis.

Buddy that's never going to happen there will always be a reason or should I say excuse to keep them prices high as possible!

I think this is a pretty good reason..
thailand-greatest-flood.jpg

Damn Bot, I think were paying them too much to make hard drives if their all living in nice villas like that, they even have water front property!.....

I think this is a pretty good reason..
View attachment 1203

Yea I would say that certainly qualifies but I still feel the manufactures are taking advantage of this unfortunate situation and capitalizing on it by gouging our wallets. Yes some price increase is to be expected in situations like this but not the kind of increases we have seen over the past few months.

Back