Post your setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all don't spend $250 more on a 940 when you can get a 920 like everyone else and just OC it to 3.8ghz easy (if not 4.0ghz if you buy a nice cooler and your case is well-ventilated).

Secondly, I prefer the nvidia GTX 275 over the 4890, but if you must, go ATI I guess.

Third, if you're looking for speed, like CJ said go with the OCZ Vertex. However, instead of one 120GB, you can get 2x30GB or 2x60gb, or even 3x30gb or 4x30gb and Raid-0 them. The speed in raid should be balls-tingling (about 450mb/s seq.read, 320mb/s seq.write on average probably for the two SSDs, even more for 3 or 4).

Use the SSDs to store your games, OS, and programs.

If you need more storage (for installs, movies, music etc.) just get a 1.5TB seagate... best price per GB and rather speedy too for a mech. hdd. Make sure you flash it to the newest firmware before using it though...

The vertex is fast and reliable! Glad someone sees eye to eye on that one! The speed of just one SSD is ball tingling! I want one!

I'm definitely going to be getting some sort of SSD over the summer I think. The performance is just jaw-dropping.

The Vertex 30GB is on "sale" for $10 off (to $120) today. I was SO close to pushing buy yesterday... but I will resist until it's $100 or less. I really need a new PC as well, my Nforce 4 controller is kinda old for this SSD shit. Someone posted benchmarks with 2 Vertexes (Vertices lol?) on an Nforce 4 and their write speed is higher than their read speed (wtf)... so yeah.

You could also buy a raid card for some hardware raid, but those are kind of expensive.

I think you wont have to focus so much on performance in RAID setup if you have SSD. It should elminate the need or quest for performance enhancing RAID setups. Granted you could always do RAID for security reasons - data security and the like.
I'm not even sure you would notice a difference - with it being so fast already.

You also have to remember that the limit for read/writes for now is 300 MB/s due to SATA II. Once SATA III comes out, it will enable MUCH faster speeds ;).

Sata II is fine for current SSDs. They seem to top out at less than 250MB/s read and less than 170MB/s write under the very best conditions.

Also, I'm going to be doing raid not for security (mirroring 1) but speed (striping 0). Fast is never fast enough for me (lol fast)... and I mean why not RAID if it's going to cost you roughly the same to buy 2 smaller SSDs as buying 1 more expensive SSD (2x30GB vs 1x60GB) when there are speed advantages? :-D

Actually, I read that OCZ is also experimenting on a SSD with a built-in "internal raid" controller. Not sure if it will ever be released, but the idea is certainly there.

Also, with internal raid, you have to wonder WTF they're thinking since SATAII tops out at 300MB/s when an internally raided SSD will easily go over that on read. Maybe a nice concept to show off SATAIII when it comes out?

As far as reliability, I can't say that for sure for the Vertex unfortunately. MLC memory is good for about 10000k writes apparently, and while the drive has "wear leveling" technology like all SSDs, if you write to it a lot you can get it fucked up quickly. There's marketing hype about "170 years MTBF" or whatever, but the reality is that they're giving a 2 year warranty on it currently, and it could slowly become unusable. I think it maps out bad sectors transparently though, so you should be OK... but it COULD become very bad fast if you write to it a lot... I wonder if in a couple of years, people's drives will be rapidly shrinking in size due to all the bad sectors (or "memory cells" I guess -_-) lol.

That's the risk of being on the cutting edge of technology. Like someone else said somewhere... you get cut a little sometimes :)

Still worth it at under $100 for me, but until then - I'll hold.

Thats why you should only run you OS and Programs off it. You'll do a lot more reading - less writing imo.
Then again you have a lot of temp files being written all the time... idk. do what you want

Hopefully they'll minimize the issues that current SSD's have down the line.

if i remember right,

i have a antec 900 case
amd 6400+ dual core
asus crosshair gaming mobo
ocz 800mhz 4gb ram
500gb sata seagate drive
two 8600 gt oc in SLI (i should have gone 8800)
antec 80% green psu, 650w
dual optical drives
samsung 19" lcd (4:3)

my monitor is the weakest link right now, it cant support the higher resolutions of my 8600's. i want to get a hannspree monitor, 23"HD. ill try that for a while then consider one really good nvidia card. maybe move to sli after that.

Dell 5150
2.5gb DDR2
XFX ATI 4650 512mb
80gb SATA
500gb SATA
DVD Rom/CDRW
DVDRW

Current:

Athlon X2 7750 OC'ed to 3.2 GHz
4GB Corsair XMS2 PC 6400
2 x 8800GT's in SLI
X-fi Xtreme Gamer
WD 250 GB SATA
CoolerMaster V8
Tagan ABS 700W PS
DynaPower Hachiman Case

Hopefully building a new PC next month.

My pc's stats: -Intel Core i7 processor 920, quad 2.66GHz cores, HyperClocked to 2.93GHz
-550W Velocity Micro power supply
-3x 120mm fans
-Intel x58 chipset motherboard, ATX
-3GB DDR3-1333 high speed memory
-2 x 512MB ATI Radeon HD4850
-500GB hard drive 7200rpm SATA,16MB cache
-7.1 intregrated HD surround sound
-20x DVD+/-RW Dual layer burner with lightscribe
-16x DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive
-10 usb 2.0 ports
computer.jpg

Nice pics there. I went ahead and replaced my pics with ones that are in focus, but they're still back on page 4 I think.

lol Heat. I didn't even notice that. Looks pretty big for a stock cooler.

New system (Building after I finish this blueberry plant)
Phenom 9850 X4 2.5ghz
2x2gb Gskill DDR 800
500gb WD SATA
HD 4650 512mb
20x SATA DVDRW
Thermaltake 500w PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back