So, before my CPU melts through the case - I need some advice:

I agree with JWR046, get a new fan/heatsink combo instead of getting a new case/moding your case and going AIO. I am an advocate for AIO cooling as I run the NZXT Kraken X61, but with your current setup it would not be cost effective as you would most likely need a new case to run an AIO (NZXT/Corsair are all based off the same model).

2Tartu brings up another great point about the dusting. That fine dust will hold in heat than you may realize. Also, your cable management needs some help. Go to the store and hit the produce section and grab some twist ties to help maximize what you already have.

General reply:
Definitely need to remove the dust, hasn't been done in awhile. - @2Tartu
Under 50% load, the CPU fan is running at 2400-2500 RPM as reported by SpeedFan (RealTemp only works on Intel CPUs) @ 53c-56c - @Maliksky
Thanks @JWR046 !
Definitely need better cable management. Got a little bag of zip ties that will be put to good use when I finally decide which route to take. @HomebrewerCraig

Apparently the AIO Corsair H60 is out: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1652406&p=3&#r42 - As it needs an additional 10mm for the radiator. This post specifically mentions my case. Even though this particular post is from 2012, I think it would be safer to assume HxWxD hasn't changed a whole lot.

@Chocolate_Ch3rry - Say $50-75 USD

I would buy a better heatsink. There are plenty on newegg for $30. I would clean the thermal paste off cpu and just use what is already on the new one. That should help a lot without going to water. I would also check all your fan speeds. There probably are fan controls in BIOS which you can setup if needed.

I have had good luck with artic cooler. I would gaurentee it would bring your temps in line for $24 and there is a $7 rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=amd_heatsink_and_fan-_-35-186-134-_-Product
This would be a huge upgrade in cooling for you and is a good option from a money standpoint. I'd really recommend something like this unless you just have a bug up your backside to do an aio water cooling.

If I was in your shoes with that budget/ case room I would just replace the thermal paste and clean the heatsink. If more performance is your goal then save up some money for a full rebuild, or till you have enough to purchase atleast a case with more room and possibly a better cooler. Good luck either way.

The very good air coolers are monstrous. But there are a lot of decent ones that are semi compact. The stock coolers for AMD chips are garbage. Intel stock coolers aren't much better. I am at work but would be happy to get on TS after 5 est

I would buy a better heatsink. There are plenty on newegg for $30. I would clean the thermal paste off cpu and just use what is already on the new one. That should help a lot without going to water. I would also check all your fan speeds. There probably are fan controls in BIOS which you can setup if needed.

I have had good luck with artic cooler. I would gaurentee it would bring your temps in line for $24 and there is a $7 rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=amd_heatsink_and_fan-_-35-186-134-_-Product

THIS ^

Update: After blowing out the HSF/Case, the temps are a lot better. Maximum of 49c with an idle temp around 35c or so.

Wow! That's a pretty large drop which means there must have been quite a few dust bunnies lurking in there. I hope you work a mask. lol

The stock coolers for AMD chips are garbage.

I'll second that. AMD guy here myself. I run a AMD Phenom II X6 1055T and it's idle temps are around 17C and barely get into the mid 30C's while playing BF4 using a Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler. @KublaKhan, you should look into seeing if you can find a similar looking one on NewEgg. Worth the money. Plus you can add a second fan to it if you have the space to do so.

And if you're looking for a good airflow case, I'd recommend the Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case. That's what I run. Saw major improvements on my system when I changed from another case of up to 5-10C cooler depending on the part in my case.

Looks like any aftermarket cpu cooler would be better than the one you have.
I still have my stock amd cooler that I never used, but it's AM3...And it seems a little cleaning brought it back in line anyways.

Looks like any aftermarket cpu cooler would be better than the one you have.
I still have my stock amd cooler that I never used, but it's AM3...And it seems a little cleaning brought it back in line anyways.

AM2/AM2+/AM3/AM3+ are all cross compatible. I have an AMD 5050e CPU HSF that I was going to use if shit went Chernobyl. @Iguanidon is still looking for his AMD brackets for his H60. Stock HSFs will keep the CPU cool if you don't do too much on the PC.. like game.. or watch videos or anything more demanding than Candy Crush. :)

Back