5870s gone quickly

sixer9682

I noticed that these were available shortly after midnight last night and they are all sold out in the US early this morning. What I don't get is 2 things.

1. Why not either push back the release date or ramp the hell up production since they know this is a highly anticipated release.

2. Understandably, they've committed a large percentage of the 870s produced to system builders, Dell, etc. but why not commit a slightly smaller percentage to builders to make more cards available on the release date to etailers.

I read that ATI committed 90% of its production stock to system builders and 10% for etailers, which seems to be a few dozen that were actually available. I know a lot of this is marketing but if that's such a large part of your production strategy then something's fucked along the way.

It was the same shit when the 8800GTs came out. They were sold out for like 3 monthes. The second someone got it, it was out of stock.

Sixer IDK, but the more I think about it, the more attractive that card is...

If the firingsquad.com numbers are true - it really is 1.5 times faster than the 285 in severe-assrape games like Crysis and Stalker: Clear Sky (where it matters really - who gives a shit if you get 75FPS or 120FPS in Left 4 Dead ffs)... and it's not overly expensive at that.

I don't think it's going to be as bad as the 8800's, but it will be in very short supply for at least 2 weeks imo.

I read somewhere on some news site that ATI is also not manufacturing a lot of them altogether (marketing or logistics IDK), so that's going to create a lot of demand too.

If it only supported GaysiX it would've been perfect...

Anyway, I don't have the money right now, but like I say - it looks very attractive, especially with the eyefinity right there too if you have money for 3 monitors.

I hope nvidia has a good answer for this, otherwise my next card may well be from ATI.

I think I'll wait and see what the 5870x2 is like before I purchase anything. Besides, by that time Nvidia's next generation should be out and will be a good comparison.

yea seems nice. im an nvidia guy myself so i hope they come out with something good in their next series, otherwise i might have to play around with some ati's :D

They do have crossfire numbers... so I'd imagine that's exactly what it'd be like.

Moreover, like it says in the Hitler video - who knows when the fuck nVidia will be able to get their new cards out.

They just might wait until the end of November or so... to release a possibly kickass card to trump ATI just before the holiday.

I love the idea of the card, but until something comes out that will tax my SLI 260 (and I only run a 22" monitor) why spend more money. Like you said Heat, the framerate difference becomes moot at some point.

Speaking of which, anyone have any good ideas on a larger monitor? I really don't need too much larger as it does have to fit on my desk, but I would like a bit larger I think.

If you're getting a new monitor get one of the 120mhz refresh rate ones. They get great reviews for games.

It's problems with the manufacturing process just like when the 8800GT's came out and the 55nm process was brand new. Now with the RV870 and the RV770 before it, the TSMC is still having issues manufacturing at the 40nm chips. Remember when the 4770's first came out? Same shit.

Hmmm tasty:

Crysis Performance 1920x1200x32 (DX10 High 4xAA 8xAF)
Card - min / avg / max
GeForce GTX 260-216 ----------- 20.4 / 28.3 / 37
Radeon HD 5870 1GB ----------- 34.5 / 50.6 / 61.4

STALKER Clear Sky 1920x1200x32 (High / DX10 Lighting 0xAA 8xAF)
Card - min / avg / max
GeForce GTX 260-216 ----------- 18 / 27.8 / 37
Radeon HD 5870 1GB ----------- 34 / 47.5 / 62

I'd buy it just for those two... and the 60fps+ on everything else :-D

BTW the above happened on Win7 64-bit.

I think in the NEXT generation, we might finally see a card which will pwn Crysis on Very High with 4xAA at 1920x1200. This one still isn't quite there.

I remember Far Cry (1) was like that... took 2-3 years for cards to start pwning it on highest + 4xAA or HDR (which was quite the novelty at the time).

problem with video cards is how long before its power is used within a game? Like the 8800 is right now, it still runs any new game on max settings with no problem, I think the exception to that has been MMO games like Age of Conan and such, this is just single cards, not SLI.

Um... no.

The 8800 doesn't run ANY new game on max settings with no problem...

It might run a lot of them, but by the looks of it (if you trust the firingsquad numbers) the 5870 is more than three times as fast as a 8800 GT (in Crysis anyway)... and even the 5870 doesn't reach 60FPS in that (which I guess is the "golden" standard for most monitors today which only go to 60Hz).

Then again, if you don't have high FPS demands (like I do), a 8800 GT will work just fine.

I just can't play games with less than ~40-45fps anymore... I've been too spoiled.

I dunno about that, I could run CODWAW on max settings with a 8800GTS, as well as World of Warcraft, COD4 of course runs on max settings, and Crysis runs on max settings to. With the COD games, this of course is WITH like 40-50 people in the game at a time to.

The only real issue I have ever had with any game was that damn Crazy Machines II game that comes packed with a new video card.

That is a biased report. They showed one resolution. I can tell you from firsthand experience my 4890 runs ARMA II at 168x1050 at the max frame rate-visibility 5000 everything else on High. Given what I've seen from other reviews the 5870 would cruise through that game.

IDK, but my GTX 260 c216 was definitely struggling big time on Arma II even with reduced settings at 1920x1080.

It just felt unpleasant to play... I think I was getting like 30FPS or something, sometimes even less, and I didn't want to reduce quality even further to absolute shit.

Nah, I had stuck tat the max frame rate 60, it never went below 54 with the 4890 on the settings I mentioned earlier. I don't know if the difference was the cpu or not, but the game never gave my system any troubles at all.

Back