Do gamers make good soldiers?

I would say a big NO for me; I would rush into 10 combatants and try to mow them all down...balls2dawall style

hahaha.... I'd be hoppin like a rabbit in front of the enemy! They never taught me that in the Marine Corp lol

haha.jpg

I love the "studies" where they're trying to link gamers to violent actions. Yeah, everyone who plays a shooter becomes a violent psychopath in real life....silly me how could I forget. I guess somebody did a good job covering up my felonies and convictions so I could work for the state and federal govt. without any problems at all. Either that or the FBI fucked up their background checks :)

Seriously, I hate the forever agenda of politicians, hoping to score big with the public, when they try to link video games to violent behavior; and not one research study has ever proved such a thing but it doesn't stop the annual push to make headlines about a correlation between violence and video games.

Oh come on! They have to have something to report on! What else would there be to watch! :p.

/endsarcasm

Being I have never been in the military, I never really gave that question much thought. I do know there are studies that say gamers do adapt better and are more proficient with the technology based weapons systems our military uses today but to say they make better soldiers, well not so sure about that?

In their opinion either we become homicidal manics, pedophiles, addicts. That's why I hate useless studies. We could lower college tuition by stop funding dumbshit studies.

What else would there be to watch!

I don't watch tv as it is, so what makes any of these dumb bastards think people like me are watching now anyway?

Wow talk about a slanted anti-violent video game article lol.

If it's any consolation to the conversation, flying in battlefield, actually helped me out big time in flight school. I was able to fly, hover and do other advanced maneuvers and understand them before my peers did.

Just sayin.

I didn't read the study as I figured it would be biased, however, I think that being a "gamer" can really help in real life as far as reaction times to certain situations, being able to see the tactical overview of a mission and become a better tactician overall. I guess you could say it works both ways...gaming and real life.

Too many times I see other players doing pretty retarded things such as (BF2142 references) Laying ALL RDX in one area to counter attacking enemy when you only need one, laying motion mines in the wide open only to leave the area and not over-watch, not using the vehicles "shape" to their advantage against motion mines, not conducting a quick area recon via map of target...just a few that come to mind.

Not to toot my own horn but more often than not I'm being called a hack due to my K/D ratio being ...well good. Last screen shot I took was 98/18 and that was last week...ground pounding and titan defense/attack. Just like Lex said If you can understand the dynamics of a game it can help. Im not saying you can become fuckin Rambo and take on a whole Army, but it can give you ideas on what to do and what not to do.

/2cents

I got RL banned from the "Iraq 24/7 160,000 Man, 0 ping Server" cuz they said I had an obvious aimbot;( I was like WTF. I was a regular too, played every day for like a fuckin year! Whats that about?

I got RL banned from the "Iraq 24/7 160,000 Man, 0 ping Server" cuz they said I had an obvious aimbot;( I was like WTF. I was a regular too, played every day for like a fuckin year! Whats that about?

I know it's late and I am tired but what the hell you talking about 160,000 man 0 ping server? What game can support that many players and better yet what's the specs on the server hosting it?

To comment about what Lex was mentioning, Take my racing sim, it keeps the mind fresh on reaction to situations. You can test drive a car until you able to make competitive lap times. But put that same person in a field of cars without experience and they will crash. Using a Sim has been a proven thing for quite some time. NASA would agree. SO it's safe to say that a sim of any sort, could garner some usfule information and provding insight into a forth coming situation.

Take this for thought, having never fired an M60 in real life, how ever I do have some knowledge of how it fires, meaning it fires nothing like an M16. You can argue deductive logic. But coming from someone that knows piddly squat about firearms. (I know the mechanics how a firearm works)

Relative link;

the corvette C6R in my racing sim. It has a Electronic auto-syncronous clutch, meaning its not a cable or hydrolic clutch that I'm used to. BUt Driving the Sim I do know that the COrvette can be shifted to different gears( up or down) without even pressing the clutch, nor lofting off the throttle.

SO studies like the one originally posted are just a sceam for attention. It's about as usefule as saying Rap music causes black people to be racist. And country music makes white people be racist.

Unfortunately we live in a society today where chaos sells, not the heart warming " someone saved a life today " story. While chaos can be little disgusting at times, entertaining too. It still is the daily bread of many. I'm kinda like sixer, I don't watch much TV. My wife's line-up of TV shows she likes to watch consist of about %70 of reality shows. I get tired of watching Tards on TV embarass themselves to become famous.

I like to play games cause it gives me a chance to write the sequences of the action movie, I get a chance to define a moment in all of teh action that is going on. I mean more than once have I stop gameplay an watched a battle unfold for a checkpoint on the map.

Just my 2 cents.

The article is actually fluff and never states whether or not gamers do make better Soldiers. I remember reading an article recently where they stated that FPS players make on the fly decisions quicker and more accurately than non-gamers. The same article went on to say that people who play racing games tend to get in more real accidents and have more moving violations. Go figure, because I know if I'm playing a good racing game and then go driving it's on.

Back